Skip to main content
Child Sex Offenses
- Steroids Policy Team Report. (March 2006) Prepared by the Steroids Working Group of the United States Sentencing Commission, this report sets forth legislative and guideline history pertaining to steroids offenses, discusses the Commission's response to legislation, and updates the findings in the Commission's 1990 Steroids Report.
- Methamphetamine Final Report. (November 1999) This is the final report of the Methamphetamine Policy Team regarding implementation of the Methamphetamine Trafficking Penalty Enhancement Act of 1998.
- Report on Federal Escape Offenses in Fiscal Years 2006 and 2007. (November 2008) In response to a suggestion in a decision by the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, United States v. Chambers, 473 F.3d 724 (7th Cir. 2007), cert. granted, __ U.S. __ , 128 S. Ct. 2046 (2008), the United States Sentencing Commission undertook a data analysis of federal escape cases to inform the legal question of whether the crime of escape qualifies as a "violent felony" for purposes of 18 U.S.C. § 924(e), the Armed Career Criminal Act (the "ACCA"). This report summarizes the legal question at issue and describes the methodology and results of the analysis undertaken by the Commission.
Food and Drug
- Food and Drug Working Group Final Report. (February 1995) This update to a February 1994 report includes an overview of the food and drug guideline, §2N2.1, and the most commonly prosecuted crimes sentenced under it. The report provides a description and analysis of food and drug cases involving individuals sentenced under §2N2.1 in fiscal years 1991-93, and describes food and drug cases involving organizational defendants sentenced under pre-guidelines law.
Fraud and Theft (Including Identity Theft)
- An Overview of Loss in USSG §2B1.1. (April 2009)
- Cellular Telephone Cloning Final Report. (January 25, 2000) The Economic Crimes Policy Team addressed the development of options for implementing the directives contained in the Wireless Telephone Protection Act (Pub. L. No. 105-172; April 24, 1998). The report details the background, analysis, findings and policy options identified by the team.
- Identity Theft Final Report. (December 15, 1999) This is the final report of the Economic Crimes Policy Team in response to the Identity Theft and Deterrence Act of 1998. The report contains an executive summary and numerous appendices.
- No Electronic Theft Act - Policy Development Team Report. (February 1999) Also available: The Appendix containing the public comment, specific proposals previously published for comment, and a notice of request for public comment.
- A Field Test of Proposed Revisions to the Definition of Loss in the Theft and Fraud Guidelines. (October 1998) In the summer of 1998, the Commission worked with the federal judiciary to field-test the Commission's proposed definition of "loss" for use in the theft and fraud guidelines. This report discusses the proposal, analyzes the results of the field test, and summarizes the comments made at the subsequent debriefing session attended by participants.
- Telemarketing Fraud Working Group: Report to the Commission.(January 1998) A Commission staff working group conducted a detailed study of telemarketing fraud offenses in conjunction with the Commission's multi-year comprehensive assessment of the fraud and related guidelines.
- Report Summary - Computer Fraud Working Group. (September 1993) The Computer Fraud Working Group studied the effectiveness of the fraud and related guidelines on computer fraud offenses. This report summary presents an empirical study of defendants convicted under 18 U.S.C. § 1030, as well as the working group''s summary of findings and recommendations.
- Intellectual Property Amendments: 2006 Policy Development Team Report. (May 2006) This Report focuses on the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act (the "Act"), the Intellectual Property Protection and Court Amendment Act of 2005 ("IPPCA Act"), and the CAN-SPAM Act, 15 U.S.C. § 7704. The Commission acted upon directives in the Act by amending, pursuant to emergency authority, the intellectual property guideline, USSG §2B5.3, effective October 24, 2005, and recently voted to promulgate that amendment as a permanent amendment. The Commission also promulgated guideline amendments to follow from the IPPCA Act and the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Manslaughter Working Group Report to the Commission. (December 15, 1997) This report reviews the Voluntary and Involuntary Manslaughter guidelines, §§2A1.3 and 2A1.4, with the objective of assisting the Commission in determining whether the current guideline penalties are appropriate relative to other violent offenses.
- Money Laundering Working Group Report Summary. (February 1995) This report summary reviews findings from the Money Laundering Working Group Reports relating to the operation of guidelines §2S1.1 and §2S1.2.
- Money Laundering Working Group Report. (February 1995) This follow-up to an October 1992 report reviews the history of the Commission's consideration of the money laundering guidelines, summarizes the earlier report, and updates case law and other relevant information available since the 1992 report.