March 12, 2002
NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETINGS AND HEARING
OF THE UNITED STATES SENTENCING COMMISSION
Pursuant to Rule 3.2 of the Rules of Practice and Procedure of the United States Sentencing Commission, the following public meetings and hearing are scheduled:
(1) Public Meeting - Tuesday, March 19, 2002 at 2:00 p.m.,
(2) Public Hearing - Tuesday, March 19, 2002 at 3:00 p.m., and
(3) Public Meeting - Wednesday, March 20, 2002 at 9:00 a.m.
The public meetings will be held in the Thurgood Marshall Federal Judiciary Building, One Columbus Circle, N.E., in Suite 2-500 (South Lobby). It is expected that each public meeting will last approximately thirty to sixty minutes. The public hearing will be held in the Thurgood Marshall Federal Judiciary Building in the Judicial Conference Center (South Lobby). It is expected that the public hearing will last approximately two hours.
(1) The purpose of the March 19, 2002 meeting is for the Commission to meet with representatives of the Probation Officers Advisory Group to discuss possible guideline amendments currently under consideration by the Commission.
(2) The purpose of the March 19, 2002 public hearing is for the Commission to hear the testimony of witnesses regarding possible guideline amendments currently under consideration by the Commission.
(3) The purpose of the March 20, 2002 public meeting is for the Commission to conduct the business detailed in the following agenda:
Introductory Remarks and Report from the Chair
Report from the Staff Director
Vote to Approve Minutes
Possible Presentation, Discussion, and Vote to Promulgate Proposed Guideline Amendments in the Following Areas:
Foreign Corrupt Practices
Cultural Heritage Resources
Public meeting materials are available at the Commission's website or from the Commission (202/502-4590).
UNITED STATES SENTENCING COMMISSION
PUBLIC HEARING AGENDA
Tuesday, March 19, 2002
William D. McColl
Director of National Affairs
Drug Policy Alliance 4
Director, National Office
American Civil Liberties Union 12
President, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers 33
Assistant Federal Public Defender for the District of Arizona 25
Federal Public Defender for the District of Columbia 26
Larry D. Thompson
Deputy Attorney General
Department of Justice 58
Judge Sim Lake (via teleconference)
Chair, Subcommittee on Sentencing Guidelines, U.S. Judicial Conference Committee on Criminal Law 99