2012 GUIDELINES MANUAL
CHAPTER TWO - OFFENSE CONDUCT
PART A - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
§2A2.1. Assault with Intent to Commit Murder; Attempted Murder
(a) Base Offense Level:
(1) 33, if the object of the offense would have constituted first degree murder; or
(2) 27, otherwise.
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If (A) the victim sustained permanent or life-threatening bodily injury, increase by 4 levels; (B) the victim sustained serious bodily injury, increase by 2 levels; or (C) the degree of injury is between that specified in subdivisions (A) and (B), increase by 3 levels.
(2) If the offense involved the offer or the receipt of anything of pecuniary value for undertaking the murder, increase by 4 levels.
Statutory Provisions: 18 U.S.C. §§ 113(a)(1), 351(c), 1113, 1116(a), 1751(c), 1841(a)(2)(C), 1992(a)(7), 2199, 2291. For additional statutory provision(s), see Appendix A (Statutory Index).
1. Definitions.—For purposes of this guideline:
"First degree murder" means conduct that, if committed within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, would constitute first degree murder under 18 U.S.C. § 1111.
"Permanent or life-threatening bodily injury" and "serious bodily injury" have the meaning given those terms in Application Note 1 of the Commentary to §1B1.1 (Application Instructions).
2. Upward Departure Provision.—If the offense created a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury to more than one person, an upward departure may be warranted.
Background: This section applies to the offenses of assault with intent to commit murder and attempted murder. An attempted manslaughter, or assault with intent to commit manslaughter, is covered under §2A2.2 (Aggravated Assault).
Historical Note: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1989 (see Appendix C, amendments 83 and 84); November 1, 1990 (see Appendix C, amendment 311); November 1, 1991 (see Appendix C, amendment 391); November 1, 1995 (see Appendix C, amendment 534); November 1, 2002 (see Appendix C, amendment 637); November 1, 2004 (see Appendix C, amendment 663); November 1, 2006 (see Appendix C, amendment 685); November 1, 2007 (see Appendix C, amendment 699).