CHAPTER TWO - PART A - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
§2A5.2. Interference with Flight Crew Member or Flight Attendant; Interference with Dispatch, Navigation, Operation, or Maintenance of Mass Transportation Vehicle
(a) Base Offense Level (Apply the greatest):
(1) 30, if the offense involved intentionally endangering the safety of: (A) an airport or an aircraft; or (B) a mass transportation facility or a mass transportation vehicle;
(2) 18, if the offense involved recklessly endangering the safety of: (A) an airport or an aircraft; or (B) a mass transportation facility or a mass transportation vehicle;
(3) if an assault occurred, the offense level from the most analogous assault guideline, §§2A2.1-2A2.4; or
(b) Specific Offense Characteristic
(1) If (A) subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2) applies; and (B)(i) a firearm was discharged, increase by 5 levels; (ii) a dangerous weapon was otherwise used, increase by 4 levels; or (iii) a dangerous weapon was brandished or its use was threatened, increase by 3 levels. If the resulting offense level is less than level 24, increase to level 24.
(c) Cross References
(1) If death resulted, apply the most analogous guideline from Chapter Two, Part A, Subpart 1 (Homicide), if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(2) If the offense involved possession of, or a threat to use (A) a nuclear weapon, nuclear material, or nuclear byproduct material; (B) a chemical weapon; (C) a biological agent, toxin, or delivery system; or (D) a weapon of mass destruction, apply §2M6.1 (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons, and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction), if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
Historical Note: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1989 (see Appendix C, amendments 97 and 303); November 1, 1993 (see Appendix C, amendment 480); November 1, 1995 (see Appendix C, amendment 534); November 1, 2002 (see Appendix C, amendment 637); November 1, 2007 (see Appendix C, amendment 699).