CHAPTER TWO - PART B - BASIC ECONOMIC OFFENSES
§2B5.3. Criminal Infringement of Copyright or Trademark
(a) Base Offense Level: 8
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If the infringement amount (A) exceeded $2,000 but did not exceed $5,000, increase by 1 level; or (B) exceeded $5,000, increase by the number of levels from the table in §2B1.1 (Theft, Property Destruction, and Fraud) corresponding to that amount.
(2) If the offense involved the display, performance, publication, reproduction, or distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, increase by 2 levels.
(3) If the (A) offense involved the manufacture, importation, or uploading of infringing items; or (B) defendant was convicted under 17 U.S.C. §§ 1201 and 1204 for trafficking in circumvention devices, increase by 2 levels. If the resulting offense level is less than level 12, increase to level 12.
(4) If the offense was not committed for commercial advantage or private financial gain, decrease by 2 levels, but the resulting offense level shall be not less than level 8.
(5) If the offense involved (A) the conscious or reckless risk of serious bodily injury; or (B) possession of a dangerous weapon (including a firearm) in connection with the offense, increase by 2 levels. If the resulting offense level is less than level 13, increase to level 13.
Historical Note: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1993 (see Appendix C, amendments 481 and 482); May 1, 2000 (see Appendix C, amendment 590); November 1, 2000 (see Appendix C, amendment 593); November 1, 2001 (see Appendix C, amendment 617); October 24, 2005 (see Appendix C, amendment 675); September 12, 2006 (see Appendix C, amendment 682); November 1, 2006 (see Appendix C, amendment 687); November 1, 2007 (see Appendix C, amendment 704).