2006 Federal Sentencing Guidelines
CHAPTER 2 - PART N - OFFENSES INVOLVING FOOD, DRUGS, AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS, AND ODOMETER LAWS
2. FOOD, DRUGS, AND AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
§2N2.1. Violations of Statutes and Regulations Dealing With Any Food, Drug, Biological Product, Device, Cosmetic, or Agricultural Product
(a) Base Offense Level: 6
(b) Cross References
(1) If the offense involved fraud, apply §2B1.1 (Theft, Property Destruction, and Fraud).
(2) If the offense was committed in furtherance of, or to conceal, an offense covered by another offense guideline, apply that other offense guideline if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
Statutory Provisions: 7 U.S.C. §§ 150bb, 150gg, 6810, 7734, 8313; 21 U.S.C. §§ 115, 117, 122, 134-134e, 151-158, 331, 333(a)(1), (a)(2), (b), 458-461, 463, 466, 610, 611, 614, 617, 619, 620, 642-644, 676; 42 U.S.C. § 262. For additional statutory provision(s), see Appendix A (Statutory Index).
1. This guideline assumes a regulatory offense that involved knowing or reckless conduct. Where only negligence was involved, a downward departure may be warranted. See Chapter Five, Part K (Departures).
2. The cross reference at subsection (b)(1) addresses cases in which the offense involved fraud. The cross reference at subsection (b)(2) addresses cases in which the offense was committed in furtherance of, or to conceal, an offense covered by another offense guideline (e.g., bribery).
3. Upward Departure Provisions.—The following are circumstances in which an upward departure may be warranted:
(A) Death or bodily injury, extreme psychological injury, property damage, or monetary loss resulted. See Chapter Five, Part K (Departures).
(B) The defendant was convicted under 7 U.S.C. § 7734.
4. The Commission has not promulgated a guideline for violations of 21 U.S.C. § 333(e) (offenses involving human growth hormones). Offenses involving anabolic steroids are covered by Chapter Two, Part D (Offenses Involving Drugs). In the case of an offense involving a substance purported to be an anabolic steroid, but not containing any active ingredient, apply §2B1.1 (Theft, Property Destruction, and Fraud) with "loss" measured by the amount paid, or to be paid, by the victim for such substance.