2006 Federal Sentencing Guidelines
CHAPTER TWO - PART A - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
5. AIR PIRACY AND OFFENSES AGAINST MASS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS
§2A5.2. Interference with Flight Crew Member or Flight Attendant; Interference with Dispatch, Operation, or Maintenance of Mass Transportation Vehicle or Ferry
(a) Base Offense Level (Apply the greatest):
(1) 30, if the offense involved intentionally endangering the safety of: (A) an airport or an aircraft; or (B) a mass transportation facility, a mass transportation vehicle, or a ferry;
(2) 18, if the offense involved recklessly endangering the safety of: (A) an airport or an aircraft; or (B) a mass transportation facility, a mass transportation vehicle, or a ferry;
(3) if an assault occurred, the offense level from the most analogous assault guideline, §§2A2.1-2A2.4; or
(b) Specific Offense Characteristic
(1) If (A) subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2) applies; and (B)(i) a firearm was discharged, increase by 5 levels; (ii) a dangerous weapon was otherwise used, increase by 4 levels; or (iii) a dangerous weapon was brandished or its use was threatened, increase by 3 levels. If the resulting offense level is less than level 24, increase to level 24.
(c) Cross References
(1) If death resulted, apply the most analogous guideline from Chapter Two, Part A, Subpart 1 (Homicide), if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(2) If the offense involved possession of, or a threat to use (A) a nuclear weapon, nuclear material, or nuclear byproduct material; (B) a chemical weapon; (C) a biological agent, toxin, or delivery system; or (D) a weapon of mass destruction, apply §2M6.1 (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons, and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction), if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
Statutory Provisions: 18 U.S.C. § 1993(a)(4), (5), (6), (b); 49 U.S.C. §§ 46308, 46503, 46504 (formerly 49 U.S.C. § 1472(c), (j)). For additional statutory provision(s), see Appendix A (Statutory Index).
1. Definitions.—For purposes of this guideline:
"Biological agent", "chemical weapon", "nuclear byproduct material", "nuclear material", "toxin", and "weapon of mass destruction" have the meaning given those terms in Application Note 1 of the Commentary to §2M6.1 (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons, and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction).
"Brandished", "dangerous weapon", "firearm", and "otherwise used" have the meaning given those terms in Application Note 1 of the Commentary to §1B1.1 (Application Instructions).
"Mass transportation" has the meaning given that term in 18 U.S.C. § 1993(c)(5).