2005 Federal Sentencing Guidelines
Chapter 2 - PART A - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
§2A4.1. Kidnapping, Abduction, Unlawful Restraint
(a) Base Offense Level: 32
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If a ransom demand or a demand upon government was made, increase by 6 levels.
(2) (A) If the victim sustained permanent or life-threatening bodily injury, increase by 4 levels; (B) if the victim sustained serious bodily injury, increase by 2 levels; or (C) if the degree of injury is between that specified in subdivisions (A) and (B), increase by 3 levels.
(3) If a dangerous weapon was used, increase by 2 levels.
(4) (A) If the victim was not released before thirty days had elapsed, increase by 2 levels.
(B) If the victim was not released before seven days had elapsed, increase by 1 level.
(5) If the victim was sexually exploited, increase by 6 levels.
(6) If the victim is a minor and, in exchange for money or other consideration, was placed in the care or custody of another person who had no legal right to such care or custody of the victim, increase by 3 levels.
(7) If the victim was kidnapped, abducted, or unlawfully restrained during the commission of, or in connection with, another offense or escape therefrom; or if another offense was committed during the kidnapping, abduction, or unlawful restraint, increase to --
(A) the offense level from the Chapter Two offense guideline applicable to that other offense if such offense guideline includes an adjustment for kidnapping, abduction, or unlawful restraint, or otherwise takes such conduct into account; or
(B) 4 plus the offense level from the offense guideline applicable to that other offense, but in no event greater than level 43, in any other case, if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(c) Cross Reference
(1) If the victim was killed under circumstances that would constitute murder under 18 U.S.C. § 1111 had such killing taken place within the territorial or maritime jurisdiction of the United States, apply §2A1.1 (First Degree Murder).