2001 Federal Sentencing Guideline Manual
§2Q1.4. Tampering or Attempted Tampering with Public Water System
(a) Base Offense Level: 18
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If a risk of death or serious bodily injury was created, increase by 6 levels.
(2) If the offense resulted in disruption of a public water system or evacuation of a community, or if cleanup required a substantial expenditure, increase by 4 levels.
(3) If the offense resulted in an ongoing, continuous, or repetitive release of a contaminant into a public water system or lasted for a substantial period of time, increase by 2 levels.
(4) If the purpose of the offense was to influence government action or to extort money, increase by 6 levels.
Statutory Provision: 42 U.S.C. § 300i-1.
1. "Serious bodily injury" is defined in the Commentary to §1B1.1 (Application Instructions).