April 13, 2000
NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
OF THE U.S. SENTENCING COMMISSION
Pursuant to Rule 3.2 of the Rules of Practice and Procedure (U.S. Sentencing Commission (July 1997)), the U.S. Sentencing Commission will hold a brief public meeting on April 20, 2000 at 3:00 p.m. at the Thurgood Marshall Federal Judiciary Building, One Columbus Circle, N.E., in Suite 2-500 (South Lobby). It is expected that most Commissioners will participate by conference call as authorized in Rule 2.2. It is expect that the meeting will conclude by 3:30 p.m.
Agenda for Public Meeting: April 20, 2000, 3:00 p.m.
The purpose of the meeting will be to conduct the business detailed in the following agenda:
Remarks and Reports
- Introductory Remarks from the Chair
- Report from the Staff Director
- Approval of Minutes
Action Item: Discussion and Vote Regarding Motions Regarding Possible Retroactive Application of Any Amendments Promulgated April 3 or 4,2000 that Would Lower Sentences if Applied Retroactivity (e.g., amendment regarding circuit conflict regarding protected locations and individuals).
- Vote to suspend Rule 4.1 (pursuant to Rule 1.2(b));
- Vote to publish an issue for comment (with a 60 day comment period) regarding possible retroactive effect; and
- Vote to direct staff to prepare a retroactivity impact analysis regarding the issue.
Action Item: Discussion and Vote Regarding Technical/Conforming Amendment.
- Vote on technical/conforming amendment that would amend the Commentary to §2B1.1 (Larceny, Embezzlement, and Other Forms of Theft) so that it conforms to the minimum loss rule that was added to the Commentary to §2F1.1 (Fraud and Deceit) at the April 2000 meeting.
Public meeting materials are available from the Commission (202/502-4590).