CHAPTER TWO - OFFENSE CONDUCT
PART M - OFFENSES INVOLVING NATIONAL DEFENSE AND WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION
5. PROHIBITED FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS AND EXPORTS, AND PROVIDING MATERIAL SUPPORT TO DESIGNATED FOREIGN TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS
§2M5.3. Providing Material Support or Resources to Designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations or Specially Designated Global Terrorists, or For a Terrorist Purpose
(a) Base Offense Level: 26
(b) Specific Offense Characteristic
(1) If the offense involved the provision of (A) dangerous weapons; (B) firearms; (C) explosives; (D) funds with the intent, knowledge, or reason to believe such funds would be used to purchase any of the items described in subdivisions (A) through (C); or (E) funds or other material support or resources with the intent, knowledge, or reason to believe they are to be used to commit or assist in the commission of a violent act, increase by 2 levels.
(c) Cross References
(1) If the offense resulted in death, apply §2A1.1 (First Degree Murder) if the death was caused intentionally or knowingly, or §2A1.2 (Second Degree Murder) otherwise, if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(2) If the offense was tantamount to attempted murder, apply §2A2.1 (Assault with Intent to Commit Murder; Attempted Murder), if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(3) If the offense involved the provision of (A) a nuclear weapon, nuclear material, or nuclear byproduct material; (B) a chemical weapon; (C) a biological agent, toxin, or delivery system; or (D) a weapon of mass destruction, apply §2M6.1 (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons, and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction), if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
Statutory Provisions: 18 U.S.C. §§ 2283, 2284, 2339B, 2339C(a)(1)(B), (c)(2)(B) (but only with respect to funds known or intended to have been provided or collected in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2339C(a)(1)(B)); 22 U.S.C. § 8512; 50 U.S.C. § 1705.
1. Definitions.—For purposes of this guideline:
"Biological agent", "chemical weapon", "nuclear byproduct material", "nuclear material", "toxin", and "weapon of mass destruction" have the meaning given those terms in Application Note 1 of the Commentary to §2M6.1 (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons, and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction).
"Dangerous weapon", "firearm", and "destructive device" have the meaning given those terms in Application Note 1 of the Commentary to §1B1.1 (Application Instructions).
"Explosives" has the meaning given that term in Application Note 1 of the Commentary to §2K1.4 (Arson; Property Damage by Use of Explosives).
"Foreign terrorist organization" has the meaning given the term "terrorist organization" in 18 U.S.C. § 2339B(g)(6).
"Material support or resources" has the meaning given that term in 18 U.S.C. § 2339B(g)(4).
"Specially designated global terrorist" has the meaning given that term in 31 C.F.R. § 594.513.
2. Departure Provisions.—
(A) In General.—In determining the sentence within the applicable guideline range, the court may consider the degree to which the violation threatened a security interest of the United States, the volume of the funds or other material support or resources involved, the extent of planning or sophistication, and whether there were multiple occurrences. In a case in which such factors are present in an extreme form, a departure from the guidelines may be warranted. See Chapter Five, Part K (Departures).
(B) War or Armed Conflict.—In the case of a violation during time of war or armed conflict, an upward departure may be warranted.
Historical Note: Effective November 1, 2002 (see Appendix C, amendment 637). Amended effective November 1, 2003 (see Appendix C, amendment 655); November 1, 2007 (see Appendix C, amendment 700); November 1, 2011 (see Appendix C, amendment 753).