Historical Note: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 2009 (see Appendix C, amendment 733).
§2N1.1. Tampering or Attempting to Tamper Involving Risk of Death or Bodily Injury
(a) Base Offense Level: 25
(b) Specific Offense Characteristic
(1) (A) If any victim sustained permanent or life-threatening bodily injury, increase by 4 levels; (B) if any victim sustained serious bodily injury, increase by 2 levels; or (C) if the degree of injury is between that specified in subdivisions (A) and (B), increase by 3 levels.
(c) Cross References
(1) If the offense resulted in death, apply §2A1.1 (First Degree Murder) if the death was caused intentionally or knowingly, or §2A1.2 (Second Degree Murder) in any other case.
(2) If the offense was tantamount to attempted murder, apply §2A2.1 (Assault with Intent to Commit Murder; Attempted Murder) if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(3) If the offense involved extortion, apply §2B3.2 (Extortion by Force or Threat of Injury or Serious Damage) if the resulting offense level is greater than that determined above.
(d) Special Instruction
(1) If the defendant is convicted of a single count involving (A) the death or permanent, life-threatening, or serious bodily injury of more than one victim, or (B) conduct tantamount to the attempted murder of more than one victim, Chapter Three, Part D (Multiple Counts) shall be applied as if the defendant had been convicted of a separate count for each such victim.
Historical Note: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1990 (see Appendix C, amendment 338); November 1, 1991 (see Appendix C, amendment 376).